Charleston Birth Injury Lawyers
We’ve Recovered Millions for Past Injury Victims
Has your child suffered an injury during the birthing process as a result of a negligent doctor or healthcare professional? If so, it is very important that you get in touch with an experienced Charleston birth injury attorney who can create a solid case on your behalf.
You should not waste any time in contacting a birth injuries attorney about a possible medical malpractice lawsuit. At Berthold Law Firm, PLLC, we have the experience, knowledge, and resources you need to get through the entire legal process. We believe that in the case of a birth injury, your family deserves to recover compensation to cover expenses.
Causes of Birth Injuries
Although the doctor or nurse practitioner who is delivering the baby should have experience with virtually any situation, negligence and mistakes may still occur. These injuries result from misconduct of some sort, either intentional or accidental. When these mistakes, in turn, cause injury or harm to either mother or child, this could leave you entitled to compensation for the damages.
Common causes of negligent birth injuries include:
- Improper use of forceps
- Improper use of vacuum
- Excessive force during removal
- Perinatal Hypoxia
- Improper administration of medication
- Waiting too long to perform a C-Section
- Failure to recognize fetal distress
- Failure to monitor a baby with a slow heart rate
- Injuries suffered because of an improperly given epidural
- Inducing labor at the wrong moment or with the wrong amount of medication
What Are Common Birth Injuries?
Negligence on the part of medical practitioners and professionals often leads to lifelong injuries that can incur large and recurring expenses. Attorneys at birth injury law firms try to help families mitigate these costs.
Some of these common birth injuries include:
- Cerebral Palsy: This condition is often caused by brain damage during birth due to lack of oxygen, improper use of tools, or infection. It can lead to movement disorders and other neurological issues.
- Erb's Palsy (Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy): This injury, commonly caused by shoulder dystocia during a difficult birth, can result in weakness, loss of feeling, or paralysis in the arm.
- Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE): This is a brain dysfunction caused by reduced oxygen supply. It may result from complications with the umbilical cord, placenta, or the incorrect use of delivery tools.
- Periventricular Leukomalacia (PVL): This is a type of brain injury that affects fetuses and premature infants, often caused by a lack of oxygen or blood flow to the periventricular area of the brain.
- Intracranial Hemorrhage or Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: This is bleeding under the two innermost layers of the brain, often caused by traumatic delivery or the use of forceps or vacuum extraction.
- Skull Fractures: These injuries can occur due to the misuse of birth-assisting tools or difficult delivery situations, and may lead to brain injuries.
- Caput Succedaneum and Cephalohematoma: These are specific types of damage to an infant's scalp, often associated with vacuum extraction births.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: These are severe and potentially life-altering injuries that can occur due to forceful or misguided delivery techniques.
An experienced Charleston birth injury lawyer can guide you through the process of a birth injury lawsuit, providing legal counsel and representation to help ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to.
Tell us what happened during a free case evaluation.
Backed by 75+ Years of Experience
See how our unique approach and decades of experience can help get the compensation you deserve.Our Experience
Get Your Questions Answered
Read answers to our most commonly asked questions and learn why you should hire an attorney.Common Questions
Learn More About Personal Injury
Take a look through our informational legal for the latest news in personal injury.Our Blog