Erb’s Palsy Charleston Attorney
What Is Erb's Palsy?
Erb's palsy is a form of brachial plexus palsy, an injury that can occur during birth, which results in a lack of muscle tone and coordination. The brachial plexus is a network of nerves near the neck which provides movement and feeling to the arms, hands, and fingers. Individuals with Erb's palsy suffer from limited movement and weakness in their arms and hands, depending on the severity of the condition.
Erb's palsy is distinguished from cerebral palsy in that cerebral palsy affects the whole body, while Erb's palsy affects the upper extremities (arms and hands). If you have been affected by this birth injury, a Charleston Erb's palsy injury lawyer can help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
How Common Is Erb's Palsy?
With over six decades of combined experience in Charleston medical malpractice cases, an experienced Charleston Erb's Palsy lawyer at our firm knows that negligent birth injuries are more common than anyone would like to admit.
According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons:
- One or two in 1,000 babies experiences Erb's palsy in childbirth.
- Five to ten percent of infants suffering a brachial plexus injury in birth experience permanent functional disability.
What Signs at Birth Indicate That Your Baby Might Develop Erb’s Palsy?
Symptoms can be seen immediately or soon after birth. The following symptoms may be evidence of Erb's Palsy:
- The baby does not move their upper or lower arm or hand
- The baby's arm appears limp or paralyzed
- Arm flexed (bent) at elbow and held against body
- Lack of muscle control in the arm, hand or wrist
- Lack of feeling/sensation in the arm/hand
- Absent Moro reflex on the affected side
- Decreased grip on the affected side
Backed by 75+ Years of Experience
See how our unique approach and decades of experience can help get the compensation you deserve.Our Experience
Get Your Questions Answered
Read answers to our most commonly asked questions and learn why you should hire an attorney.Common Questions
Learn More About Personal Injury
Take a look through our informational legal for the latest news in personal injury.Our Blog