If you have been involved in a car accident and suffered any kind of injury, you may be eligible to recover monetary damages from the at-fault party. However, it is possible for the at-fault motorist and their insurance provider to shift the blame on you and denying you your entitled compensation.
At Berthold Law Firm, we understand how to effectively obtain the compensation you deserve in order to pay for medical bills, loss of income, as well as pain and suffering. Our Charleston injury lawyers know how important it is to take the proper steps after a car accident to ensure a successful recovery from injury.
The following are the things you should DO after a car accident in Charleston:
- Contact your insurance company and tell them that you have been involved in a car accident without admitting any guilt or responsibility. They will then initiate the claim and begin the investigation process.
- If you have suffered serious injuries, contact a qualified personal injury attorney before making a statement to your insurance provider.
- Seek immediate medical attention and emergency treatment.
- Take photos and meticulously document the scene of the collision.
- Exchange information with the at-fault party and witnesses. Get names, phone numbers, addresses, and other types of contact information from each person.
There are several actions which you should NOT DO after a car accident, such as:
- Don’t provide a recorded statement to the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Any information can be used against your claim.
- Don’t wait a few days or weeks to seek medical care. Complete documentation of the injuries suffered in the accident is an important factor in recovering your compensation.
- Don’t send your medical bills to the insurance company in your case. Instead, have your attorney collect all of your bills and other receipts related to the accident to calculate the total amount of your claim.
- Don’t give the at-fault driver’s insurance company access to your medical records. As soon as you give them authorization for your medical records, they will have access to your records thereafter.
- Don’t ever accept a settlement offer without consulting with your attorney first.
If you require legal assistance from an experienced personal injury lawyer in Charleston, contact Berthold Law Firm today.